5.18.2012

:: feathering a nest


Someone's feathering a nest, but it isn't me this time. As I was sitting on my patio this afternoon taking a break from planting I heard a rustle coming from underneath my hammock. Then all of a sudden I saw this cute little wren jump up onto my candle holder, and then over to my fountain where it appears to be building it's nest.


I sat watching for the longest time as it made the same trip over and over bringing bits of leaves & twigs and diving into it's nest. It was so precious. Once it was inside you could see the little mound of bits moving around while she fluffed and tucked all of her little finds in.


After watching a few trips I ran inside to grab my camera hoping she would still be there when I returned. This is one brave little bird, she didn't seem to mind me one bit. At one point I couldn't have been more than four to five feet away. It was a bit tricky catching her in action though. I simply trained my camera on the lip of the candleholder and guessed which side she would land on so I could try to set my focus correctly without having to depend on autofocus which would have taken too long.


The real key to catching these shots was patience, and a good prop for my arm : ). I truly enjoyed every second of it, and I think she knew it too, look at her looking around over her wing so coy. She was quite cautious, she would pause to look around before leaving the lip of the candle holder to flit up to the fountain. I did get a little overzealous and moved over just a bit closer which sent her off into the trees to spy on me instead. So from now on I'll be sure to keep a proper distance for her comfort of course.


T H E   E N D


{peace, love & hugs}
Carrie
Pin It

7 comments:

  1. Well done you. So difficult to catch shots like this. They are so small and fast, you have captured the activities beautifully! Really made me smile :-)
    Di
    X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Carrie! I just loved this post....how cute! Hope to see more on Miss Wren and her young'uns!
    Have a blessed weekend!
    Florida hugs,
    Becca

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, she is so cute! What fabulous photos, that first shot looks exactly like the wren in your banner! Hugs, B x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a choice experience! We don't have wrens in our area but the sparrows build nests outside my studio window. Right now they're coaxing the first fledglings of the year from the nest (or trying). Soon your wren will be doing the same!

    Cindy at Rosehaven Cottage

    P.S. LOVE "the end"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Your photography is exquisite!
    I found your blog through Artful Blogging magazine.
    What an inspiration nature is!
    Looking forward to following your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a gorgeous post & photos of this sweet little Wren ♥
    We have Robins nesting in our pergola and it was wonderful to sit and watch as Mama & Papa Robin both brought nesting material.
    Thanks for sharing these adorable photos Carrie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How precious! I love wrens. I haven't seen any in our yard, but instead we've been able to watch some robins build a nest and chase off the blue jays. : ) Do you mind if I ask what lens you used for these shots?

    Breezy

    ReplyDelete

I love seeing your lovely faces & reading your sweet comments. Thanks for taking the time to visit me : ) * I do my best to respond by e-mail, if I miss you please forgive me. peace & love * Carrie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...